Shepherd’s Pie isn’t just for meat lovers anymore! Our Lentil Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie recipe makes use of hearty Portobello mushrooms that will leave even the carnivores in your family impressed.
Lentil-Mushroom Shepherd’s Pie
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour*
- 1 1/2 lbs. Yukon gold potatoes, cut into 2-inch cubes (3 medium potatoes)
- 1/2 cup ShopRite Light Sour Cream†
- 1/4 cup ShopRite 1% Milk†
- 1 tbsp. no-salt-added garlic and herb seasoning
- 3 tbsp. ShopRite Imported Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (6-oz.) pkgs. ShopRite Portobella Mushroom Caps, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves or 1/2 tsp. dried thyme
- 1 cup frozen ShopRite Peas & Carrots
- 2 cups cooked brown lentils
- 1/4 cup low-sodium vegetable broth or dry white wine
- 2 tbsp. chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat a 2 1/2- to 3-quart baking dish with nonstick cooking spray; set aside. Place potatoes in a large pot; add enough water to cover. Bring to boiling; cook 10 to 15 minutes or until potatoes are fork-tender. Drain potatoes; place in a medium bowl. Using a potato masher, mash potatoes to desired consistency. Stir in sour cream, milk, seasoning, and pepper to taste; mix well. Cover; set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat until hot. Add onion and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Add mushrooms and thyme; sauté 5 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Stir in peas and carrots; cook 1 minute. Stir in lentils, broth and chia seeds; mix well. Remove from heat.
- Spoon mushroom mixture into baking dish. Top evenly with potato mixture. Bake 35 to 45 minutes or until heated through and top is golden. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Per serving: 236 calories, 8g fat, 2g saturated fat, 5mg cholesterol, 66mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate, 7g fiber, 9g protein
*5 minutes stand time extra
†To make this recipe vegan, substitute 1 (10-ounce) package of silken tofu (puréed) for the sour cream and milk.
Make it a meal: Serve with a mixed greens salad.