I grew up in a ShopRite loving family and the Can Can Sale is a tradition for us. My mom shopped the sale when I was a child and I now shop the sale for my family. Each year you get two opportunities to stock up: January and July. The January sale comes at the perfect time as I’m looking to save money on our grocery bill while we recover from the holidays.
One of the best ways to save money and take control of your family’s diet is to have a well-stocked pantry. If you have the right ingredients on hand, you’re on your way to meal planning and saving your family both money and extra calories.
Here are my must-have canned staples with a few links to my favorite recipes to put your stash to work:
- Corn (corn fritters, tamale casserole, cornbread)
- Beans (chili, dips, hummus, nachos)
- Tomatoes – crushed, paste, diced, sauce (salsa, chili, spaghetti sauce, pizza sauce, etc.)
While you’ll find many national brands on sale, you’ll also find that the ShopRite brand has great value and quality. I grew up on ShopRite brand products and I rely on them for quick and affordable meals for my family.
Benefits of canned goods:
- Long shelf life (and shelf stable)
- Shortcuts for weeknight meals
- Encourage your family to consume more vegetables and legumes
Most people have limited storage space in the kitchen, so you may need to get creative with your stash. Consider storing your cans:
- In your basement, if you have one. We have heavy-duty shelves loaded with shelf-stable food.
- Under your bed. Seriously. It’s the perfect height and a great place for your overflow stash.
- In your garage, if you have one.
There are typically two or three weeks’ worth of Can Can Sale advertisements, so I return to ShopRite at least once a week during the sale to make sure I have access to the full selection of sale items. My stash at home is well-organized, so I have a list of what I need before the sale even starts.
Stock up now and replenish your stash in July!