Pantry staples are a must in a large family. Weekly shopping is tedious enough for nine without having to resort to trips throughout the week to stock up. This is especially true in the winter and early spring when much fresh produce just isn’t the same quality or affordability that it is in warmer months.
Turning to your pantry for more than half of your meals isn’t a bad thing; instead it’s a decidedly good thing, especially with quality canned goods. ShopRite has standards that many other brands don’t and it’s evident in the beans and tomatoes used for this recipe. The imported cherry tomatoes are like little orbs of sunshine in a can. The flavor is bright and blends well with tiny little white beans. If you can’t find fresh cherry tomatoes at any time of year, the imported babies from ShopRite are a very fine substitute.
This can be made with pork or chicken, the cooking time is just about the same for both. The leek adds a dimension of flavor that we really love here, but if you aren’t mad about leeks, shallots or even spring onions will do well. About a cup of chopped green onion or two small shallots should do the trick.
Pork with White Beans and Cherry Tomatoes
2 Tablespoons ShopRite Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 large leek
1 pound 1/2 – inch thick boneless pork chops
1 can (14.5 ounces) ShopRite Fat Free Chicken broth with 50% less sodium
1 can (15 ounces) ShopRite Small White Beans
1 can (14 ounces) ShopRite Imported Whole Cherry Tomatoes in juice
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Cut the dark green portion from the leek and discard. Cut leek in half lengthwise and rinse well to remove any sand or grit. Slice thinly.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat and add leeks. Cook briefly until leeks begin to wilt. Push aside and add pork.
3. Sear pork on both sides, 3 minutes per side and add chicken broth to pan.
4. Cook over low heat until broth is reduced slightly and pork is cooked through – about 5 minutes.
5. Add beans, thyme and drained tomatoes. Heat through for another 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
IMPORTANT NOTICE: As a POTLUCKTM blogger, I received the ShopRite Extra Virgin Olive Oil, ShopRite Fat Free Chicken Broth with 50% less sodium, ShopRite Small White Beans, and ShopRite Imported Whole Cherry Tomatoesfrom ShopRite for free.