You know the old saying, “when life gives you lemons, make lemonade”? Sure you do. Your grandma said it to you, and her grandma said it to her, and her grandma’s grandma said it to her, going all the way back to the Pilgrims coming over on the Mayflower! Or… something like that.
Anyway. The point is, it’s been around for a while. And I think it’s about time for a new saying. So, in order to bring us in to the 21st century, I’ve got a new one for you:
“When life gives you chicken stock and cooking sherry, go buy some lemons, and make Chicken Piccata!”
Ok, so maybe it doesn’t have quite the same ring to it. But I can assure you, you won’t be sorry if you follow this advice. Any “lemons” that life has thrown at you will quickly fade away as you take your first bite of this delicious dish. And as a bonus, this recipe makes 8 servings, so you can invite all of your friends over to enjoy this tasty dish as well!
Chicken Piccata for a Crowd
3 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cutlets, sliced or pounded about ¼ inch thick
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 tbsp olive oil, divided
2 large Vidalia or sweet onions, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups ShopRite Organic Chicken Cooking Stock
One 12.7 fl oz bottle ShopRite Special Edition Cooking Sherry
Juice of 3 lemons
1 lemon, thinly sliced
3 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
1. Dredge chicken in the whole wheat flour, making sure to coat each side well.
2. Heat ½ Tbsp of olive oil in a very large sauté pan over medium high heat. Once the oil is hot, add several pieces of the chicken (enough to cover the bottom of the pan without overlapping) and cook for 2 minutes, until slightly browned. Flip the chicken and cook for 2 minutes on the other side. Remove chicken from the sauté pan and reserve. (It is ok if the chicken is not cooked through, as you will continue cooking the chicken in the sauce in the following steps.) Repeat this step two more times until all of the chicken has been browned.
3. Lower the heat to medium temperature, and heat the remaining 1 ½ Tbsp olive oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent, about 6-8 minutes.
4. Add the chicken stock, cooking sherry, and juice of three lemons to the onion and garlic. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then lower to a simmer. Return the chicken to the pan and simmer for about 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through and the liquid has reduced by half.
5. Transfer the chicken to a serving dish along with the sauce. Top with lemon slices and parsley, and serve.
Note: If you don’t have a crowd to feed, you can certainly halve this recipe… but remember: extra servings = yummy leftovers!
IMPORTANT NOTICE: As a POTLUCK blogger, I received the ShopRite Organic Chicken Cooking Stock and ShopRite Special Edition Cooking Sherry from ShopRite for free.