Girlene Coughlin, Registered Dietitian at the ShopRite of Kearny, NJ, here with your weekly Wellness Wednesday tip!
Did you know that children who help their parents prepare healthy meals are more prone to try more foods and subsequently like a larger variety of fruits and vegetables?
Make sure to let your kids help with meal prep, by giving them tasks appropriate to their age. They can help prep the meal, set the table or they can be in charge of putting away all the family’s electronic devices in a pile at the center of the table during the meal, so that all family members are able to interact with each other.
Besides turning off small electronic devices, make sure to turn the TV off during the meal as well.
Follow these tips, and your family will eat healthier, and your family dynamics and communication will improve!
Here’s a healthy and easy recipe your kids may be able to help you with:
Pasta with Tomatoes, Feta, and Balsamic Dressing
- 6 ounces whole grain ShopRite uncooked farfalle
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 cup seedless green grapes, halved
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon ShopRite Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons ShopRite extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 (4-ounce) package crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt and fat. Drain. Combine cooked pasta, tomatoes, grapes, and basil in a large bowl.
- While pasta cooks, combine vinegar and next 6 ingredients (through pepper) in a small bowl, stirring with a whisk. Gradually add oil to vinegar mixture, stirring constantly with a whisk. Drizzle vinaigrette over pasta mixture; toss well to coat. Add cheese; toss to combine.